Monday, September 9, 2013

What Went Wrong Yesterday? Just About Everything

Cleveland Browns Memes

I waited a long time for yesterday.  The promise of something new, more exciting, and fun.  But the 2013 Cleveland Browns came out looking even worse than the 2012 Cleveland Browns.  Bumbles, stumbles, and garbage yards were the name of the game.  And even though the defense showed signs of being a pretty good unit, they couldn't stay off the field.  And the increasingly frustrating phenomenon that is the Cleveland Browns offense stayed true to the form of the past decade and a half.

But this team was supposed to be anchored by its offensive line.  It was the true strength most people thought this team had, until yesterday.  Our blockers were terrible, even Joe Thomas looked pretty poor at times on Sunday, but oh my god then there was Oniel Cousins.  The position of right guard has been a scourge for the Browns, but not even John St Clair can claim to have held down the position as terribly as Cousins did.  He had four penalties and a day of getting blown off the ball consistently.  I am already not sure he deserves a chance to come back next week. Our tight ends didn't know who to block, Trent Richardson consistently missed his blocks.  It was a train wreck, Brandon Weeden was sacked six times and was hit a couple dozen more.  By the fourth quarter nearly every one of Weeden's throws came out wrong due to his arm being hit due to heavy pressure.

Cleveland Browns Memes

Then comes our receivers, particularly Josh Gordon, Greg Little, and Travis Benjamin.  First I will address Mr. Gordon.  Josh Gordon had no catches yesterday, because he got himself suspended.  So he immediately had a negative impact on the season, well done sir.

Unfortunately that meant that we needed to depend on Greg Little.  And let me tell you when I went to create the meme above, I had to pause and actually scroll through my COLLECTION OF GREG LITTLE DROPPING A BALL PHOTOS.  Need I say more?  Well yes I will because Little's little butterfinger episode also cost us yet another turnover yesterday, as he essentially volleyball set a couple balls to be intercepted.  Thankfully only one of his was because it was contagious as Jordan Cameron provided the other.

Which brings me to Travis Benjamin, who seems to have caught some form of Greg Little disease as he dropped a couple passes, and also let a defender intercept a pass nearly uncontested.  I was so excited to see this young man in the offense, and now I wish I wouldn't have.  

What baffles me is that both Josh Cooper and Tori Gurley seem to have some skills, yet we can't seem to grasp that the guys we are playing aren't very good, and perhaps it is time to start looking at new faces to play there.

Well I will continue this rant tomorrow as I set my eyes on Brandon Weeden.

No comments:

Post a Comment